Skip to content


  1. Stefan Lindgren
    Aug 23, 2010 @ 15:27

    Skörade spinnakrar och mastbrott syntes i starten England runt ,det blåser 17 m/s men “Team Styrbord” är i väg ordentlingt.


  2. Ojoj
    Aug 23, 2010 @ 19:39

    Leopard har brutit så inget rekord där inte.


  3. Peter Gustafsson
    Aug 23, 2010 @ 19:46

    Groupama 70: They’re off!

    Scheduled for 1400 hours local time, the start of the Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland Race took place bang on target. The English punctuality didn’t favour Groupama 70, who were delayed following a collision with another boat whilst still tied to their mooring. Setting off around fifteen minutes late, Franck Cammas and his crew powered away and managed one by one to overtake 25 of their 27 rivals in some rather harsh sailing conditions and a light worthy of Beken of Cowes.

    First to cross the start line, ICAP Leopard and Telefonica Azul put on an exceptional display, firing off at 25 knots into the Solent, the sound which separates the Isle of Wight from the mainland. Despite being over 30 foot longer than the VOR 70, ICAP Leopard, with Sam Davies navigating, got irreparably left behind, as did the rest of the fairly assorted fleet.

    During this time, the crew of Groupama 70 attempted to quickly hoist their mainsail. Delayed following a failed manoeuvre by a competitor, which damaged the bow of the VOR 70, Franck Cammas could only watch, powerless, as his main rival, Iker Martinez, skipper of Telefonica, took flight. A double Olympic medallist in the Forty Niner, the Spaniard couldn’t have wished for a better start.

    It remains to be seen now how the skipper of Groupama 70 will react. Prior to the start, the newcomer to the VOR category had this to say: “We’re here to drive the men and Groupama 70 into a corner, as well as to see how we measure up against an experienced, high performance crew”.
    Having racked up a 5-mile deficit from the outset, Cammas had no other choice but to attack. He too tracked making 25 knots of boat speed, creating fabulous plumes of water in his wake, the skipper was clearly ruling Groupama 70 with a rod of iron.

    Once across the Solent, the imposed route will call for a series of tack changes under spinnaker. Favouring a more northerly course, Jean-Luc Nélias, Groupama 70’s navigator, was the first to put in a gybe. It’s a manoeuvre which, in the breeze, requires perfect synchronisation. Unfortunately this element may well have been somewhat lacking aboard Celox 40, which lost her mast.

    With the wind set to remain very steady, the competitors will continue to traverse the English Channel at pace, zigzagging between the numerous cargo ships picking their way across it. Suffice to say that in these conditions, any minutes spent sleeping will be both rare and precious if they are to keep performing well…


  4. Peter Gustafsson
    Aug 23, 2010 @ 20:37

    Kompletterade med lite bilder från dagens start.

    Det var väl precis det här gubbarna längtade tillbaka till?


    • Pär Lundberg
      Aug 23, 2010 @ 23:38

      Vem längtar INTE efter det där ?!?!?! Om allt håller så satsar jag mina pengar på Groupama ;-)


  5. Anders D
    Aug 24, 2010 @ 07:51

    Jag undrade varför Groupama låg efter? Tydligen hade de skadat båten när de eller någon annan lämnade kajen och fick reparera skador innan de tog upp jakten. Ser idag att tele och Gama valt lite olika rutt på väg norrut.


  6. Peter Gustafsson
    Aug 28, 2010 @ 09:30

    Så har vi rundat Shetlandsöarna och beger oss nu ut på Nordatlanten. Förhoppningsvis blir det lite skönare gång än våra dagar med storm och kryss på Nordsjön. Vi lagar fortfarande prylar som gick sönder i stormen; lanternor, akterstag mm. Den nordvästliga vinden skall hålla i sig så det är ju lite otur att spinnakern inte kom med…


  7. Martin Strömberg
    Aug 29, 2010 @ 14:13

    Ni kan se en vit lapp på vår styrbords sida det är lagningen efter att en båt tryckte in sitt peke i vår sida då vi låg på moring.


  8. Peter Gustafsson
    Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:54

    Snyggt seglat Martin!

    First victory for Groupama 70
    Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland Race

    It was at 1126 hours BST on Sunday that Franck Cammas and his ten crew took victory in the Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland off the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes on the Isle of Wight. By covering the 1,802 miles in 5 days 21 hours and 26 minutes at an average speed of 12.74 knots, the French crew considerably improved on the best time over this course which had previously been in the hands of the British sailors Dee Cafari and Sam Davies since 2009.

    “Our arrival in the Isle of Wight was pretty magical. We powered along the island at over twenty knots under spinnaker before tacking against the current in the Solent. On crossing the finish line off the Squadron, the exhaustion swept over us. That’s how you build a team; it’s important” says Jean-Luc Nélias, navigator aboard Groupama 70.

    As the winner of the Sevenstar Round Britain and Ireland tied up to the dock in the port of Cowes, the bottle of champagne was passed around the whole crew. Very much in demand, Franck Cammas had to do a steady stream of telephone interviews and after his first confrontation against a Volvo Ocean Race specialist, the skipper of Groupama 70 was ready and waiting: “Our aim in this race was to see how the work this new team, on a new boat, has been doing over the past six months would measure up to a reference like Telefonica. The battle was great and very close-fought. We really battled hard. The confrontation was worth its weight in gold with the crew forced to sail under pressure for the first time since Groupama’s engagement in the Volvo. This victory has motivated the whole team to push themselves as hard as they can. As far as the record is concerned, it’s the icing on the cake” explains a happy Franck Cammas.

    By taking 14 hours and 3 minutes less time than the previous Sevenstar RBI reference, Groupama 70 has confirmed the fast pace of these Volvo Ocean Race monohulls, which are capable of peak speeds in excess of 30 knots, as well as regularly sailing faster than the strength of the wind, like the multihulls that the skipper of Groupama is so familiar with.

    However, the greatest satisfaction for the recent winner of the Jules Verne Trophy is a human one: “We have a new team. None of my crew come from the multihull and the three Groupama trimarans. It was necessary for me to become integrated. For that there’s nothing more valuable than a race to get to know each other well and gain trust. I’ve learnt more in six days of racing than in six months of training in Lorient during our day sails. This victory binds our crew for the future”.

    Next up the crew will quickly have to head back out to sea to return to the base in Lorient: “We’ll have left before Telefonica arrives. We’re not being prudish, but our work schedule is a busy one and every minute counts until the start of the Volvo in November 2011. It would be a mistake to underestimate our rivals” concludes Jean-Luc Nélias.

    – Time of passage over the finish line: 1126 hours BST
    – Race time: 5 days 21 hours and 26 minutes
    – Average speed over the 1,802 mile course: 12.74 knots
    – Lead over the previous record: 14 hours and 3 minutes

    Crew of Groupama 70
    1. Franck Cammas, skipper
    2. Jean-Luc Nélias, navigator
    3. Laurent Pagès, watch leader
    4. Magnus Woxen, watch leader
    5. Charles Caudrelier, trimmer
    6. Erwan Israël, trimmer, under 30 years of age
    7. Martin Strömberg, trimmer and pitman, under 30 years of age
    8. Sébastien Marsset, trimmer and pitman, under 30 years of age
    9. Mike Pammenter, bowman, under 30 years of age
    10. Martin Krite, bowman, under 30 years of age
    11. Yann Riou, media crew


  9. Anders Dahlsjö
    Aug 29, 2010 @ 20:52

    Bra seglat, grattis!


  10. Patrick L
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 00:10

    Härligt Martin! Hoppas vi snart får se dig i en Farr 30 igen då :-)


  11. Krite
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 17:36

    Riktigt skönt att vara tillbaks i Lorient. Det var faktiskt ganska stökigt framme på fördäcket under några dagar så ikväll går vi ut och firar lite tack för stödet


  12. Peter Gustafsson
    Sep 5, 2010 @ 21:27

    Stort grattis till Team Styrbord!!!

    MÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅL!!! Som första svenska båt någonsin i denna tävling. 13 dagar och två timmar tog det oss att segla 1800 mil i såväl stormar som stiltjebälten. Härligt att återigen ha fast mark under fötterna. Undrar hur det skall kännas och sova i en säng som ligger stilla i natt. Måste nog grunda med något start att dricka. En dusch och en steak väntar nu. Ett stort TACK till min fantastiska besättning för en väl genomförd tävling!!!


  13. Peter Gustafsson
    Sep 7, 2010 @ 18:40

    Intressant läsning från First 50 Team Styrbord:

    Saker som funkat och som inte funkat

    Det märks att båten är en crusing båt, den är inte egentligen gjord för den här typen av segling.

    Inredningen är rätt opraktisk när det kränger och hoppar. Vi låg i stort sett hela tävlingen med en krängning på 30 grader och sjön var rätt krabb så det stutsade och hoppade rätt ordentligt.

    Att klä på sig för ett vaktpass tog 30 minuter.

    Låsen till skåkluckorna är en svag punkt på Beneteaus segelbåtar, de går lätt sönder och utan låsen flyger luckorna upp. Likaså är mastfoten på Sparcraft riggarna väldigt otät. Kick fästet på bommen från Sparcraft är helt klart underdimmensionerat, det gick sönder 15 minuter efter start. Vid starten blåste det runt 17 m/s medvind.

    Pulpiten fram på BB sida gick sönder, fästet är alldeles för klent och vibrerade sönder vid den första stormen på Nordsjön när vi hade vindar på upp mot 48 knop.

    Bränslecellen från Efoy 2200 levererade bara 7,5 amp mot utlåvat 9. Lite kan tyckas men 1,5 amp är ungefär vad en dator drar. Så vi fick köra motor mer än beräknat. Tyvärr så går det inte alltid att köra motor när det kränger för mycket.

    Ska man ut och segla mer än 1 vecka i sträck så är nog ett elverk att föredra.

    Thuraya Satelit telefon var rena leksaken, norr om London slutade den fungera. Och den hade problem när båten gungade. Verkar som om Thuraya har dålig täckning norr om London.


    • Team Styrbord
      Sep 9, 2010 @ 08:08

      Jag ska komplettera med lite mer saker som inte hållit måttet.
      Rent generellt kan man säga att marin prylar inte tål vatten.
      Hela skrovsidan blev brun när GPS antennen från True Heading började rosta.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.